Demonscene by Gray Marchers


Demonscene by Gray Marchers


I've long been a fan (and member) of the Demo Scene - a loose art collective of thousands of people who create computer animations. I first came across it as I sat in my friend Mark's bedroom as a 14 year old lad waiting for Sensible Soccer to boot up on his Amiga. It was a pirated copy and, before the game loaded, the group who had cracked it (i.e. broke the protection so that you could copy it) put on a small intro declaring who they were. If I recall correctly, and it was 36 years ago, it was a white screen with a logo, a spinning cube and a bunch of bouncy balls. I was hooked and determined to know more.

Within a couple of years I'd gotten myself an Amiga, became the main coder for a local group called Dual 4mat, and burst onto the scene. My group got quite popular during 1993-1995 and all of the members of the group that are still with us I class as lifelong friends.

Over the years I've kept an eye on the Demo Scene and witnessed some amazing demos and intros released but the latest from Gray Marchers "Demonscene" is probably one of my all time favourites. It's got a banging tune, some amazing fractals, brilliant models and plenty of ray marching - and it's all in javascript (and I think a little WebASM). Amazing. Have a watch of the video.

"The Scene saved my life!" was a common refrain from me when I was a child. It still rings true now.







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Hello, world! in Z80 Assembly Language

La Isla Bonita

にゃー、にゃー。(Meow, meow)